The National Trial Lawyers AIOCLA 2015 10 Best NAFDD 2nd Consecutive Year DUI Attorney

Monthly Archives: September 2013

Question: “I am looking for an affordable lawyer that would be able to give the best advice on my case. Charges are pc487(a) Pc1203 (e) (4) and enhancement.”

Answer: We can’t really substitute in as attorney of record for one appearance then leave the case should it not conclude that day. I would suggest you get a free consultation, then determine who you feel most comfortable and confident in, and retain him or her.

Question: ”I got caught shoplifting at a department store, merchandise was totaling $250+. I haven’t received a civil demand letter yet. I do, however, have a court date. I have a clean record. No police were involved, but I was sent away with a court date. Can I go to the court, and apologize, and hope the judge with dismiss it and reduce the fine? Or, can I write an apology letter to the company and bring a copy to court?”

Answer: Going to court and apologizing is not sound advice to follow. In fact, if you were to try that, the judge may stop you and direct you to speak to an attorney, as your statements can still be used against you. Contact an attorney to review your case, and the evidence to determine if a defense exists. If not, an attorney can help to negotiate the best plea bargain possible.

Question: “My husband has a prior misdemeanor from 2005 for domestic violence; has an INS hold; and was arrested on these charges: pc29805 and hs11377(A). What should I do?”

Answer: Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney who is familiar with the immigration consequences that he is facing, as an offer that could be seen as ideal for a citizen client can have very serious consequences for him.  It’s likely that you will also have to contact an immigration attorney, as aside from the open case, your husband will likely have to address the previous conviction as well.

Question: “I received two misdemeanors for shoplifting in 1969 and 1977. The judge mentioned after probation, he would seal and expunge my records. I do not wish to reveal this information on a citizenship application, when asked about moral character. Please advise.”

Answer: It’s unlikely, though, not impossible that your convictions would have been expunged on a judge’s own motion. However, and you’ll want to confirm this with an immigration attorney, generally speaking, expungements do not result in the same benefits to a non citizen. There are a host of other possible remedies to non-citizens who are seeking to clear records. For further information, contact an immigration attorney to confirm whether, despite the convictions possibly being expunged in the past, they still must be disclosed.